Â Toss a Coin in the Fountain, then Escape the CrowdsTradition goes that if you toss a coin in the Trevi Fountain, you will return to Rome! So, you gotta do that, but then try some off-the-beaten sights and avoid the crowds. These are our “hits” from the trip:
- See the Cat Santuary in the ruins of the Torre Argentina
- Dine at Der Pallaro near the Campo dei Fiori
- Stroll through the Borghese Gardens - Rome’s “Central Park”
- Climb to the top of the Janiculum Hill in the Trastavere neighborhood for a bird’s-eye view of Rome (particularly the eye-shaped Pantheon)
Misses: We’d pass by two spots that recently received favorable press:
- Calcata, north of Rome. Artists reclaimed a condemmed town and made it their own. However, few signs of life were evident at 11am, and the art we saw was spotty at best. Probably something wonderful if you found it yourself, but it won’t be a repeat visit for us.
- Sunday Flea/Antiques Market in the Trastavere neighborhood. More fleas than antiques, and a lot of low-quality imported goods from China. Great people watching, however.